Saturday, July 26, 2008

Li'l Snort grew during last night's Folk Festival - only a couple of hours before it got too dark to draw, but he's coming together. I'll finish him off tonight and then Mister Stinky's ear will begin to appear.

I guess I don't need to say much about the process, because you can see how it goes. I just start at the top left-hand corner and work my way down and across the page, inch by inch, wandering back in every once in a while to adjust the values and add some details. But I could talk statistics and math skills to thicken up the text. For example, just now I measured the completed bits and concluded there were 91 square inches. Then I calculated the number of minutes I have worked so far - 3600. A whopping 39 minutes for every inch of drawing! Wow! No wonder art is so expensive!

Just to be sure, I asked Don to check my math, because I have been known to conduct perfectly awesome calculations, over and over, even firming up the answer with a calculator, only to produce some result that has no relationship to the original question. Alas, the true answer is very commonplace 3.46 minutes per square inch.

Every artist should be married to an engineer or a mathemetician for just this purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am confused - if, as you said, you put in 3600 minutes on Little Snort, then you have actually spent 39.5 minutes on each square inch. But 3600 minutes is 60 hours, I expect you have put in 6 hours not 60, which is 360 minutes not 3600 minutes. In that case it would be 3.9 minutes per square inch. So you weren't exactly wrong, your calculations were correct, you were just calculating with the wrong information...... Little Snort looks absolutely perfect by the way

Anonymous said...

Whatever the math, this looks beautiful so far.