Sunday, May 25, 2008

DEB & MURPHY

And here they are, 14" x 18", 2B pencil on Canson off-white paper. About 8 hours.

Murphur was a bit of a challenge, as I thought it might be. I considered going out to get one of those "how to draw animals" books part way through. But I think it's mostly a matter of taking enough time so as not to end up with a big mess instead of a big bunch of fur.

I'm still looking for another project! A dog might be fun.

P.S. Check out the comment on this one! As you can see, I have off-sprung a brilliant young artist. I'll take this under advisement, Richard, and will post the results as soon as they're in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope not to dash your inspiration, but it would not be characteristic of me to stand idly by without criticism.

I think the cat looks pretty good to me, probably due to the fact that our perception of feline likeness comes under much less subconscious scrutiny. In regards to the human face, however, it is far too easy to miss the mark. The face seems ever so slightly too square. Which might be a result of the hair being a little too voluminous. But I think the portion below the eyes should be drawn down a little more.

There also seems to be too much contrast in the features of the face, it's making any depressions or wrinkles really stand out. Try smoothing out the gradations, especially on the left side. If you compare it to the photograph, there should be no completely white tones on the darker side of the face.

Now get going on the next one!