Monday, July 21, 2008

STEP BY STEP

In case anyone is interested in how this works, I'll show this one each step of the way. And in case you check in regularly, you'll have something to look at while I'm working away in the background!
To start, I take anywhere from three to ten photographs when the light is right. Once I've picked the one I like, I convert it to black and white and adjust the lights and shadows with Photoshop. (In the original photo, these little Puggy faces were almost completely black - too dark to see all the wrinkles). I print the photo as large as will fit on an 8 x 10 sheet, and draw a 1" grid over it. I might also print a few of the other photos for reference. For example, I don't want Mister Stinky's eyes to be quite as close to sleeping as they are in this one!
The drawing will be 16 x 16 (twice the size of the original) so I drew a 2" grid on paper. Without a grid, it would take a lot longer to set up the drawing. There might also be some erasing involved, and all but the gentlest erasing can change the surface of the paper enough to effect the way graphite attaches to it.
The line drawing is the technical bit - sort of like priming a wall before you paint. It took me about an hour to get this far. Tonight I'll start on the actual "painting".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This will be a great picture when you are done. It's a wonderful composition. Can't wait to see it!