Sunday, April 13, 2008

PENCIL EXPERIMENT

I'm sure it's possible to create amazing luminosity with a pencil, but not in as short a time as I allowed (3 hours, 10.5" x 7.5"). You can see where I got impatient and took a few swipes with an eraser.
Here's something to read: John Ruskin, The Elements of Drawing, first published in 1857. It's full of practical, well-explained art lessons. The more of a perfectionist you are, the more you'll like Ruskin. And he's funny. Check this out: "Be resolved to use botting-paper, or a piece of rag, instead of your lips, to dry the brush. The habit of doing so, once acquired, will save you from much partial poisoning."

2 comments:

Deb said...

This is lovely...I don't see eraser marks and it reminds me of Homer Winslow's "Canoe in the Rapids", without the cobalt blue of course.

Anonymous said...

This one I will agree, is excellent. No criticisms.